Eighteen-year-old Laura Baty was waiting on a customer at the Buck Inn Hotel Bar in North Yorks when she heard a loud bang and suddenly realized she was on fire. An e-cigarette that had been charging behind the bar unexpectedly exploded, shot toward the busy barmaid and singed her arms and dress.
The e-cigarette transformed into a flaming projectile, scorching Baty’s arms and setting her dress on fire. The e-cigarette landed on the floor, where it left a scorch mark on the tiles before burning itself out completely. A customer who witnessed the terrifying incident rushed to Baty’s aid. The customer brought Baty to the bathroom to calm her down and wash up her arm, which was black with singe marks.
The e-cigarette belonged to barman Stewart Paterson. The 21-year-old had been using his iPad charger to charge the electronic cigarette, something he did countless times before. He described the explosion as sounding like a firework and looking like a flying ball of flame. Fortunately no one was serious hurt.
Defective products can produce burns and other serious personal injuries. If you or someone you know has sustained a personal injury from a defective product in Massachusetts, and would like to find out whether you have a viable legal claim for personal injury damages or wrongful death damages, please call 617-787-3700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to speak with an expert Massachusetts burn injury lawyer, Massachusetts defective product attorney, Massachusetts personal injury attorney or Massachusetts wrongful death attorney.
If you would like to talk to an expert in product liability law, call 617-787-3700 for a free, confidential consultation with one of our highly skilled Boston, MA burn injury lawyers or Boston personal injury lawyers.
Your needs are our top priority!